Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mousse on the Loose

So, enough about triathlons (until next year, or until they post the 2008 Danskin dates and I can start badgering some of you to do one with me). Let’s get back to pastry.

I started Contemporary Cakes yesterday here at Cookin’ School. Contemporary Cakes is just what the name implies, learning how to use recently developed techniques, post-modern visual aesthetics and newer flavor profiles to create things that, at least in some sense, can be considered cakes.

The funny thing is, every single person who’s taken the course says, when I ask what it’s like, "oh, it’s mousse cakes."

Tuesday, in his opening remarks, my newest chef sighed and said, with just a hint of whine, "everyone says all we do is mousse in this class, but really, not everything is mousse. Really. We do other stuff. Honest."

Whether it’s mousse or chiboust or whatever, all the cakes we’re making could be called Weird Floppy Cakes with Neat-O Cross Sections, though that’s not as catchy a name as Contemporary Cakes. We’ll do a lot of inserts, and lot of "textured" finishes to our mousse and, essentially, create a lot of fancy-schmancy cake-like objects that will be generally prettier to look at but less satisfying to eat than, say, a hunk of booze-soaked sponge cake slathered in Italian buttercream.

But that’s just my opinion.

Actually, I’m looking forward to this class because these kinds of cakes are crucial to know how to do, and because I think they’re visually interesting and challenging to assemble creatively. Just don’t ask me to eat one.

So far, I really like Chef, too. As one classmate remarked: "he is by far the most laid-back chef we’ve had." He’s funny and self-deprecating and stressed that he is extremely patient and doesn’t expect everything we do to turn out perfect, because hey, we’re learning, after all.

Contrast that with The Penguin last year, who used to make us call-and-answer "Are we allowed to make a mistake?" "No!"

He’s also allowing us a lot of leeway in terms of how we finish our entremet and petit gateaux (aka big cakes and little cakes), expecting us to choose the garnish, decide how to arrange the components and so on. We also have two projects where we get to develop our own recipes and then make it for Grand Buffet (the pre-graduation hootenany).

On the first day alone, he showed us how to do a bunch of easy prep items, including a delicious flourless chocolate sponge that is so easy to make I can’t believe we struggled with fussier sponge recipes for months on end last year (as a bonus, for VirgoSis and others with a Need to Know, said cake is totally gluten-free... Let me know when you’re in the area and I’ll make one for you).

My only quibble so far with him is that he, like many a more modern-leaning chef I’ve met, really likes passion fruit. A lot. My chef in Vegas was like that, too, as was my Individual Pastry chef last year. Let it go, boys. It’s just a fruit. You don’t have to put it in every goddamn recipe (in Vegas, we even made Passion Fruit Tiramisu and Passion Fruit Bread Pudding. No! Stop! Step away from the passion fruit, Chef!).

My only true concern right now is my teammate. Luck of the draw, I got the omega dog of the pack. She’s a nice person, but she just has zero kitchen sense. I don’t claim to be perfect by any stretch, but when Chef says "zest an orange" to add to poaching liquid, I grab an orange and my microplaner and go to town. I do not cut the orange in half, toss the innards (yes, as in the fruit part!) and put a whole half of defruited orange in the pot, bitter pith and all!

And when we measure dacquoise to fit in a mold and decide it needs to be 2.5" wide, I get out my ruler and measure it carefully so that it is, in fact, 2.5" wide. I don’t know how the hell she did it (I was busy doing other stuff), but our strip varied from 2 3/4" to 3" wide. That may not sound like a big deal, but when you have 2.5" of space, yeah, it’s an issue. I hate that I have to check everything she does, because she works slow to begin with and doesn’t leave time to redo things, which we usually have to do. Ugh. There, I’ve vented. It’s three weeks and then I’m done with her.

Anyway, I don’t think the work we do in this class will be as visually stunning as last class, but I’ll take pictures of anything interesting. As long as there’s no passion fruit involved. I refuse to feed the frenzy.

8 comments:

JM said...

That chick did NOT throw half an orange in the pot. What did you do/say to her? Are you allowed to smack your teammates or do they deduct "professionalism" points for that (or something)?

[Yes, I am a random stranger commenting on your posts. I am not creepy and weird, I swear. I came here from DrV's blog. I loved the old incarnation of your blog, too, and was thrilled when you started back up again. ]

The Pastry Pirate said...

random strangers welcome, jm (though does your DrV connection make you truly random?)... even creepy and weird strangers welcome, as long as they're coolcreepy and weird, like christopher walken.

and yes, i would lose professionalism points so i stayed my hand. she had cut two oranges in half, scooped out the fruit (and yes, threw it out) when i noticed what she was doing and said "what the hell?" today was a similar daisy chain of disasters... she was supposed to squeeze fresh lemon juice for the mousse and did... pits and all, which i had to fish out. then she tried to slice thawed mousse cake moments after chef reminded us to only slice them frozen. i could go on, but i won't. three weeks and then it's over. that's my mantra.

and thanks again for stopping by!

JM said...

I applaud your restraint!

*clap* *clap* *clap*

Dr. Virago said...

Two cakes-related comments not really related to this post (tho' I also applaud your restraint):

1) Bullock and I went to a cool little patisserie on Hawthorne in Portland the last night we were there and thought of you. It had a very funny menu with amusing explanations of things that I thought you would have appreciated. though I think they also abused the passion fruit. Check it out if you're ever there. (And note to Tommy if you read this: we had time to kill between the Gorge and our late night flight, couldn't find a place to eat out there, so came back into town and ate at that cafe with the little curtains that you said you hadn't tried yet. Try it -- it was awesome.)

2) OK, when are you going to be a contestant on Ace of Cakes?!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the offer of the flourless cake. I will take you up on that someday. (And filled with mousse would be awesome!) I, too, admire your restraint since even I, mostly self taught via The Joy of Cooking and tv prior to the Food Network, knows what it means to zest a piece of citrus. Oy vey!

Sheltie Girl said...

Oh, the memories of partners like her. I've had more than my fair share over time.

I love the stories of Cookin' School. I've wondered for the last couple of years if I could make Cooking School work since I'm gluten free. Ditto on the whole passion fruit thing.

Finishing the Danskin Triathalon - very cool. I'm a two year survivor myself...took up English horseback riding with my daughter when I found out.

Sheltie Girl
http://glutenagogo.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I've got one question. How the blink did she get to that level of class without learning how to zest or juice properly? Why wasn't she found out and held back (at the very least) 5 or 6 classes ago? Okay, so that's 2 questions.

The Pastry Pirate said...

Teehee... Shorewoodian, she's still here because she passed her practical (eventually. after failing it TWICE) and because, afraid of losing "teamwork" points, her teammates always suffer her, which is what I've been doing.

And welcome, Sheltie Girl. You could definitely make Cookin' School a go (or a gogo... love the blog!). We'll even have a class on gluten-free and other special dietary concerns, and every chef I've had has been great about accomodating the vegans, diabetics, nut-allergics and other special needs students in our classes. Just do it!