Monday, August 13, 2007

I give you... Sqone!

So it was Sunday night, edging close to my rather sad bedtime (8 pm... the exact time my natural night owl body clock is limbering up to Jazzercise). I had some reduced fat buttermilk on the verge of expiring, and if you know me well you know I hate to throw out food.

I think it’s pretty obvious that I had to make scones.

I couldn’t find my base recipe, but I did find the savory Stilton and walnut variation I did for one of the tastings in Vegas, so I scaled it down based on how much butter and buttermilk I had and mixed it up quick enough, using cranberries and almonds, two things I had on hand. I also didn’t have my round cutters with me, and I just don’t like triangular scones, dammit, so I cut squares.

It was only after my sqones were in the oven that I thought "Mmm, cranberry and almond, with just a little sweetness... uh... wait a minute..." I had used the savory scone recipe. The one where I’d removed all the sugar. Derrrrrr... So here are some sugar-free sqones.


Yeah, they’re more biscuit than scone-like, but since scones don’t have that much sugar in them to begin with, I didn’t miss it. Especially not with a bit of sweet cream on the side (actually, the cream is for photo purposes only. After I baked them, I decided to take a photo using a sushi plate I bought on clearance at TJ Maxx recently, as I was obsessed with the color and pattern. I get that way about housewares.).

3 comments:

Tommy said...

If you were to somehow work quorn into this, you could call it the "squorne"...

Dr. Virago said...

That's funny, because at first I thought the 'q' spelling was *because* you'd used quorn in it!

The Pastry Pirate said...

howl... as it so happens, tommy's very thought crossed my mind! i'm thinking a cranberry, goat cheese and quorn squorne somewhere in the near future.