Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Mornings and Mr. Kittenheads


Ok, I'll get to Wiley, aka Mr. Kittenheads, in a moment, but first I have to share the above photo, sent by L. The Barbie Pooper Scooper (yes, it's real) was apparently recently recalled. Due to safety concerns rather than questionable taste. You can read about the recall for the Barbie Pooper Scooper (yes, it's really real) here, or you can just study the above photo. Perhaps, like me, you will be disturbed that the plastic bits of poop being scooped and the plastic bits of food in the dog's bowl and mouth are identical.
And perhaps, like me, you're a dog owner and find this a reflection of your reality.
In any case, as hard a time I've been having waking up at 0353 (the time my first alarm clock goes off), Wiley is having an even harder time being a "morning person." He usually doesn't stir until I've had my quad shot nonfat latte, showered and dressed for school. Then I prod, poke and sometimes even stand him up as he grumbles and whines.
If I can keep him on his feet and get him down the stairs and get his leash on, we go for a morning drag. That's me, coaxing and gently tugging at his leash while Wiley faces the opposite direction and tries to pull me home.
Today, after allowing me to drag him about a quarter-mile, Wiley laid back down on the living room floor as soon as we returned and started gnawing on the enormous bone Dr. Virago and Bullock recently sent him. He went at it half-heartedly for about two seconds, then rolled onto his side with a sigh and covered his face with one paw, as if the labor of chewing beef-basted goodness was simply too much effort.
When I get home from school in the afternoon, he's a different dog, eager to go walkies and run and play and bark. Mornings are just bad for him.
Oh baby, I so understand.

2 comments:

Dr. Virago said...

Hey, good to know you got the package. (If you "g-mailed" me about it, I haven't been checking that account. Still reconstructing my computer. Ugh.)

And hm. Why on earth did Wiley wake us up, on more than one occasion, to go out at 3am, and act all chipper like it was walkies time?? I think he totally played us. Either that or he was more or less anxious for at least the first 3 months he was with us. (The nocturnal behavior stopped for the last month and a half.)

Anonymous said...

I think the boy is just trying to make mom feel worse for having to get up that early. My, he's a bigger drama queen than Miss Lilybits.