Tuesday, August 28, 2007

CineSuccinct: The Hugh Jackman Voiceover Edition

My movie reviews in one sentence, followed by a brief explanation, or at least an attempt at being brief.

Happy Feet: I don’t get it. Enough with the damn penguins already. And why was the only cool character, the leopard seal, in the movie for like two seconds? Oh, and I recall hearing part of a Terry Gross interview on NPR when it came out. The ever-insightful Ms. Gross (only not... she gets under my skin like few other NPR people can) remarked that "Happy Feet" was such a wonderful example of cultural diversity. I guess she meant the tired Latino stereotype schtick of Robin Williams, or the fact that, gosh! one of the penguins was voiced by a rapper! (Whose sole line seemed to be "you ok, baby?") Or maybe she meant that extremely diverse leading cast of... uh... Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Brittany Murphy and Elijah Wood (voicing a blue-eyed penguin), four of the whitest people in the known universe.

Whatever. I was rooting for the leopard seal.

Flushed Away: Yay! The trailer I saw for this was a turn-off, and as I am the Girl in the Cookin’ School Bubble with no awareness of Pop Culture, I don’t know if other potential viewers felt the same way. But I RedBoxed it since it’s from the Wallace and Gromit crew and have to say: ha ha ha ha ha. What a hoot!! I laughed almost start to finish. If you haven’t seen it and need a funny movie pick-me-up, I highly recommend it. In addition to Jackman as the lead rat, mistakenly known for most of the movie as Millicent Bystander (haha), the voices include Jean Reno (yay!), Kate Winslet (yay!!), Bill Nighy (yaaaay!) and two-ninths of the Lord of the Rings fellows, not the scrumptious bits, but a deliciously over the top Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis.

Millicent Bystander... get it? Hee hee!!

No comments: