Friday, April 11, 2008

First the Stick, Now the Carrot

I'm still waiting for The Consequences of My Actions from my Ramsay Moment yesterday, but so far no one has said anything. If nothing else, Chef was unusually solicitous of my mood and well-being today, and offered to loan me some murder-mysteries his wife is reading.

Having gotten the Despotic Baker Tirade out of my system yesterday, and having seen that the cinnamon rolls were properly baked this morning, I felt freer to work with the intern currently assigned to me and also try out a few new menu ideas.

A sidenote: in addition to live target practice with pastry yesterday, I also made a killer sorbet out of random things I found in the kitchen. I realize that sounds totally full-of-myself to say, but kitchen survey says it's a winner. Someone left frozen mixed berries thawing overnight but never claimed them, so I mixed them with simple syrup, candied Meyer lemon peel and a splash of raspberry vodka, spun it in the machine and wound up with a sexy deep burgundy sorbet that tasted like berries soaked in love and sunshine. One of the line cooks who tried it said "berry sorbet" didn't do it justice and we should call it "Magic Mountain Berry." So we did.

Today, in addition to showing Bubba* some bread braiding techniques, I worked on a carrot cake dessert.

*Bubba is the intern currently working with me, a good ol' Southern boy who claims to have no talent in the baking and pastry arena (shades of Honorephobia!) yet has put in terrific effort. He hasn't had to remake a single thing once, and his piping is nearly as good as mine.

The carrot cake is still in play, but so far it consists of layers of a moist cake with carrots, of course, raisins and spice, apple cumin butter and a cream cheese frosting I actually like -- I hate the kind made with confectioner's sugar, but the one I came up with is creamy-cheesy yet light. There are egg whites involved. Chef suggested adding grilled pineapple and a spicy ice cream, so tomorrow I'll be experimenting with Sichuan pepper ice cream.

Why? Because I can.

No comments: