Thursday, June 21, 2007

Snakes Alive!

Sunday on the way to the dumpster I noticed something moving along the pond edge beside my apartment. It was one of those huge black snakes that reside in my ‘hood... and it had something wriggling in its mouth! Of course I ran inside, grabbed my camera and walked over to it. I’m sure the snake thought "damn paparazzi," but I was fascinated watching it eat the semi-adult frog (it was in that awkward "too big to be a tadpole, but no developed legs yet" phase).



Munchings and crunchings of the teenfrog...



Swallowed whole!



Lifting its head to let gravity help get the meal down.

After downing its dinner, it slithered back into the pond. I was amazed at how close the snake let me get. That’s one thing I love about where I live. Tons of wildlife, and none of it particularly shy.





No comments: