Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Coming Soon... The Cake of Insanity!

I took some hilarious pictures of my "four-sided cake project" yesterday that I'll be posting as soon as I have a moment to upload and resize them without laughing too hard, so watch this space...

In the meantime, you can watch my current chef on YouTube!! No, not SugarMomma... the bad news is, SugarMomma was picked by the dean to attend the World Pastry Conference (yes, there is such a thing) this week, so we won't see her again until the last two days of class. The good news is that our substitute chef is none other than The Divine Chef M, my cakes chef from last year, who may well be my favorite chef ever, after der Erlkonig, of course. I really like her teaching style and her sense of humor.

Yesterday, discussing the realities of special occasion cakes made for difficult customers, she noted "I always drink champagne when I'm doing a wedding cake. It relaxes me." (She's the same chef who recommended margarita popsicles for kids' pools parties because "it's so innocent! No one suspects anything when mommy has another popsicle." Though my all-time favorite quote from her came when describing how improper storage of pastry cream could result in poisoning a wedding party: "They'll blame the fish! They always blame the fish! No one will think it was the pastry, but you'll know, and you'll have to live with that for the rest of your life.")

Anyway, this morning while giving a demo on gum paste flowers that had some technical problems (our fancy video cam that displays on a screen wasn't working quite right), The Divine Chef M asked us "have you seen my YouTube?" and then told us how uncomfortable she'd been making it because appearing on tv is really not her thing.

I just looked it up. It's on cupcakes, and if you know her, it's pretty funny because she is so mellow and serious in it, but if you're at all interested in putting a face (and voice, and a real name) to the nicknames I give my chefs, check it out here.

And remember... check back soon for the Cake of Insanity!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that woman. I want to come to one of her pool parties!!

Dr. Virago said...

I'm surprised Virgo Sis didn't notice this, but Chef kinda reminds me of our sister V!