Monday, June 4, 2007

Duck Duck Chicken Pheasant, Take Two

My eggs-periment with different eggs continued Sunday morning with a fry... tomatoes, sausages, bread and the aforementioned eggs. The photo didn’t come out well (I didn’t realize it was blurry till I uploaded it), so I’m not posting it, but my findings:
  • pheasant egg still tasteless and had no body. It was like skim milk instead of cream. I also read today that pheasant meat tends to be much leaner than that of other birds. I don’t know if it’s true, but the egg seemed leaner, if an egg could be described that way.
  • chicken egg was good, nice size and had decent flavor. I don’t have much more to say about it, though, as it was the control of the group
  • duck egg was awesome. A lot of yolk, yes, which Wiley was happy to help with, but it had a richer orange-yellow color and a lot of body. The taste wasn’t that different from the egg, but the body really sealed it for me.

While not part of the formal experiment, I also tried a new (to me, anyway) kind of sausage: since I don’t really like sausages and I was already meeting my weekly recommended amount of fat in just one meal, I opted for Boca breakfast links, a meat-free, soy-based product. Yuck. Tasteless and dry, TVP-like texture. Quorn and Morningstar faux-sausages are both better.

Though I will say the Boca links' taste and texture improved mightily when dipped in duck yolk. Probably not a helpful tip for a vegan, but for the rest of us, hey, it’s an option.

No comments: