Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cafe Brulee

Perhaps, like me, you enjoy a giant latte in the morning, especially with gobs of airy milk foam. And perhaps, like me, you find your favorite part of creme brulee is the thin, crisp layer of torched sugar on top.


And maybe you too have wondered: what would happen if I combined these two taste sensations?


The answer:




I made the latte as usual, with very cold skim milk for maximum foam power. I sprinkled some granulated sugar in an even layer on top of the foam and torched it. I expected the sugar to melt into the foam and/or the foam itself to collapse under the direct heat, but the foam stayed firm, or at least as firm as foam gets, and the sugar got wonderfully caramelized and crunchy.


I let it sit on the counter for a few minutes, waiting for the foam to go flat, but it didn’t. The actual sensory experience of drinking it was interesting, too: breaking through a thin layer of sweet crunch to cold foam and then getting the hit of hot coffee. I don’t see Starbucks adding a Bruleeccino to its menu anytime soon, but if you’ve got sugar and a blowtorch on your hands next time you’re brewing your morning cuppa, try it for yourself.

No comments: