Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Quorn: It’s What’s For Dinner, part two

In a recent phone call, my Mommy expressed concern that I might be too busy to cook healthy food for myself, so I offer this as evidence to the contrary (hi Mom!) as well as yet another big wet smooch to the people who developed my favorite fungus, Quorn.


Tuesday night I blanched broccoli in some salted water, drained it reserving the water at a boil, tossed in a sliced Quorn Naked Cutlet, let it poach for a minute and then tossed it with the broccoli and some radish salad I made over the weekend.


The radish salad is a must if you like the pink pickled ginger they serve with sushi. All I did was slice a bunch of breakfast radishes (the oblong, mild kind) on my $5 mandolin (which actually works well), put in a container with a 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar and 1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar. Cover and shake and refrigerate for a couple days, shaking early and often and whenever tempering chocolate makes you agitated. Drain the excess liquid and voila! Flavor and crunch galore.


I don’t fuss with plating if it’s just for me, so here’s my dinner:



Virtually fat-free (the Quorn has 2.5 grams), very high in vitamins and antioxidants, and 11 grams of meat-free, soy-free protein. Oh, and it tasted awesome, with a nice balance of crunch and soft juicy faux-meatiness. Poaching the Quorn gave it a nice tender and moist quality, like a chicken breast cooked properly instead of burnt to a cinder.


Yay Quorn!! Quorn Quorn Quorn... I’m hoping the good people at Quorn use one of those webcrawler alerts to posts that reference their product and decide to send me my weight in Quorn as a big thank-you for championing their lab-grown fungus. No, really, it’s delicious. I consider myself a Quorn ambassador and really hope you’ll consider trying it.


Hey Quorn people... call me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get a $5 mandolin? I've been looking for one for what seems like forever.

This looks delicious by the way.

The Pastry Pirate said...

i know, i know!! it was on clearance for 50% off at my local stop n shop... it's the "good chef" brand you find at all the supermarkets/targets/walmarts of the world. i figured it would be a piece of crap, and while it's lightweight and probably wouldn't stand up to major slicing, it's perfect when cooking for one. and i like that it's lightweight and easy to store.

and yes, this dish was so yummy! yay radish! yay quorn!! makes my tummy all happy inside!