Friday, July 18, 2008

The Transcendent Power of Metallica

Don't worry, non-metal friends, this post isn't really about Metallica, though Jaymz and the boys do play an important role in this guy's epiphany.

For those of you too scared or too lazy (hey, I understand) to click on the link without a better sell, there's a Capuchin monk in Italy (and not a young one) who, after attending a Metallica concert, embraced heavy metal and eventually formed his own band.

Yes, he is still a Capuchin monk, venturing out of his cloisters (if that's the right term... Dr. Virago, where are you when I need you?) only to, you know, warm up the crowd at the Monsters of Rock Festival.

I am not making this up.

From the clips on the BBC segment about him (link above), he sounds pretty good, and he certainly has the devil horn hand gesture down.

I just love that the Vatican is apparently letting him do this (mad props to you, Pope Benny!). I love that his music is apparently not a callow attempt to get youngsters to church more. He just seems to dig the metal.

As the guitarist for Monster Magnet once said as we stood together watching a fireworks show at a music festival, "Dude. That's awwwwwesome. Duuude!"

Indeed.

2 comments:

Christi said...

I accidentally came across your blog while looking for "pirate pastries" for my sons pirate birthday party (crazy, I know.) Anyway, when I first ran across it I saw your recipe for rugelach. It sounded awesome and I'm going to try to make some. Any advice?

The Pastry Pirate said...

Hi Ryan... there's nothing crazy about pirate pastries! Pastry pirates tend to be a little crazy but that, ahem, is another matter.

My biggest tip to you about rugelach is to be patient, let the dough get cold before trying to roll it out and keep it cold.

You may find it's easier to roll between two sheets of parchment... it's less messy, plus if it does start to stick you can just throw it in the freezer. Once it gets cold enough, the parchment magically releases.

Good luck and stop by anytime!