Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Long Road Out Of My Own Private Gulag

At last!! Today I was able to find someone in the Valley to recover my lost data files, after which I was able to restore my hard drive to the lean, mean, slightly unstable machine it is. I still don't have a tv, and haven't unpacked my stereo from whichever box it's in, but being back online is itself a delight.

I still have to re-load a bunch of plug-ins for this battle station to be fully operational, so you'll have to wait a couple days for a full update in the long, tedious detail you've come to expect, but in the meantime:

Here's a brief pictorial of my latest adventures, in the kitchen and beyond, accompanied by my loyal, panting yet pantless sidekick, AdventureDog:

I did dessert trios for a fancy-pantsed function a few weeks ago entirely on my own. The shot below is of the last few plates to go out. I'd already plated 60.




Here's me and Cerdic, my trusty Saxon warhorse (or, er, my bicycle) at the Danskin Triathlon in Denver at the end of June. I know my tri-suit is not the most flattering piece of clothing I own, but you know what? That thing on the green ribbon around my neck is a finisher's medal. Dat's right, homes, I finished my third triathlon, one I didn't train for aside from checking the air in Cerdic's tires that morning.



Today, on a day off (yay!) Sir Smalls and I drove to Rollins Pass, elevation 11,660 ft., where they used to drive cattle over the Rockies to their summer grazing spots, and walked a little ways on The Continental Divide Trail. Not to give too much information, but when nature called I debated whether to answer on the Atlantic or Pacific side of the watershed (the trail runs right along the Divide). This shot has a rather Sound of Music quality to it, doesn't it?




Much more soon, now that I'm back online! Whoo hoo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

holy. shit.

i watched exactly 2 episodes of Hell's Kitchen, including the one last night...she won. I can't believe this girl that I've disliked so much through your blog is the girl that I disliked less than most of the other people on the show. wow.

disappointing.

and congrats on the triathlon!

and i love the picture of wiley.

The Pastry Pirate said...

So... she won. God help us all. It's validation for her unwarranted egomania. I mean, she can cook, but having one not particularly rare skill doesn't give you license to be an evil yet stupid and ultimately boring bitch.

They say Hitler was a pretty good sketch artist, you know?

Not that I have an opinion on the matter or anything.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your blog both school related and work related. I have to ask what happened to the blog you took down. Were you forced into taking it down by "the powers that be"? I was in the position of reading student blogs at one job and usually the student was right on target with observations and comments that it was hard to find fault with what they were saying.

As to your classmate that "won" HK, I don't know how much of a win it was. Yes, she will work for GR in a kitchen where she might see him 2 times a year. After her performance in the contest she will walk into a kitchen brigade full of preconceived notions, whether right or wrong, about her and her skills. To be totally honest I really didn't see anything that would make me hire her

The Pastry Pirate said...

Hello, "Anonymous"... Chef, is that you? But seriously, thanks for reading and for the positive comments.

I took down the old blog because a few faculty/staff had made comments that led me to believe my blog was being read by higher ups. I didn't want to feel the need to censor myself, nor did I want to deal with any drama caused by my online presence.

I restarted the blog in its current form after deciding screw it, it's the best way for me to keep in touch with all my far-flung friends and family now that everyone's email filters out group updates or photo attachments as spam or worse.

I don't claim to be always right or ever objective, but in the words of one of the second bananas in "Braveheart," "I speak as I find."

And the only reason I'm bitter about Foie Girl's HK win is the $250,000 salary. And that it reinforces her rather pathetic view of the world and her place in it.