Thursday, July 24, 2008

Everyone's A Critic... Especially Me

Since I'm working on some writing projects again, my Inner Genghis-Khan-as-Editor has reared its ugly head and bad spelling and/or writing irk me even more than usual. (I'm not saying I'm perfect... I know I have errors in this blog, for example, but I don't present it as professional writing, either. And I think I do okay given its "stream-of-conscience," as I've seen it (mis)spelled, nature.)

As I was scanning the online reviews of the new X-Files movie (because yes, I Want To Believe), I found this little nugget, written, ostensibly, by a professional reviewer:

Superbly made with an edge of the seat tension that lingers, X-Files fans will be more than satisfied as the credible and incredible sit side by side in an explosive melee.

Nevermind that, as the sentence is constructed, the implication is that X-Files fans are superbly made.

Nevermind the unpleasant image of lingering edge of the seat tension (makes me think of hemorrhoids).

I just want to know... can anything "sit" in a melee, nevermind an explosive melee?!

Yeah, I'm being persnickety. If I were back in the newsroom, I'd stomp around muttering for a few minutes to get it out of my system, but as I am in my pajamas eating my fish curry (yes, I eat fish, and curry, for breakfast) and Wiley doesn't feel my pain, I needed to vent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A professional reviewer wrote that?
I feel your pain, as much as a designer can. ;) I have been lolspeaking lately, and I'm scared I might let some lolspeak slip into any refers or headlines I write.

Foose said...

Doesn't this review imply that it is the X-Files fans that are superbly made, rather than the film?

Foose said...

Sorry. You pointed that out. Very tired. Perhaps the reviewer was, too.

The Pastry Pirate said...

No worries, Foose... and after reading it over again, I believe perhaps I was too hard on the reviewer for this point. After all, I am an X-Files fan and happen to be "superbly made," providing an "edge of the seat tension" that "lingers," especially if one has been the recipient of one of my burnt cinnamon roll-pelting rages!! Ha!!