Thursday, August 14, 2008

"My Syrup Brings All the Birds to the Yard...

...Damn right, it's better than yours/Damn right, it's better than yours/I could teach you, but I'd have to charge..."





Sorry, but I sing my special version of Kelis' "Milkshake" every morning because...





Well, let me back up a bit. When I moved to my current apartment, exactly two months ago today, I put up a hummingbird feeder with homemade syrup (75% water, 25% organic sugar). For a while, I got no takers. Then one or two birds would zip up to it, have a taste and zip away.





Eventually I developed a steady customer base (I suppose, in a way, this is my first "business"). The feeder holds 12 oz. of syrup, and I had to refill it on a weekly basis.





Then, a couple weeks ago, suddenly I was refilling it twice a week.





For the past three days, I've had to refill it every damn morning.





I've checked for leaks (none). And the shape of it is designed expressly for hummingbirds, so all the crows and magpies around couldn't get at it if they tried.





I have several theories about why the feeder on my porch is suddenly the hottest joint in town:





- I'm just that good. (kidding)





- With winter approaching (it's already chilly at night and in the morning), the hummingbirds are, er, fattening themselves up. Which doesn't make that much sense to me in an animal evolved to be as light as possible and which uses a fast-acting form of energy. But I'm not up on birdology like I am on the study of sharks, bears or lemurs, so perhaps someone can enlighten me.





- A lot of people put up hummingbird feeders in late spring, but I'm wondering if they've been refilling them as regularly as I. Much as I forgot to water my herb garden and everything died, maybe they've let the feeders go empty and the birds have moved on. On a related note, the stores around here were selling ready-made syrup (with red food coloring... eww) but it seems to be a seasonal item and they're now stocking snow shovels, so maybe people too lazy to make their own (uh, guys, there's a reason it's called simple syrup) have just taken down their feeders.





In any case, despite buzzing around me fearlessly when I go out to refill the feeder, the birds get shy as soon as I bring out my camera. But this morning I finally got a couple shots (through my porch door, on the fast action setting with zoom) of one of the hungry, hungry hippobirds (on the right of the feeder):

This guy is one of the larger, red-breasted varieties. There are also smaller, prettier blue-green ones that are faster but always getting bullied by the big reds. Good luck to me trying to get a photo of the little ones, which speed past in turquoise blur.




They really are amazing little creatures, and I feel good that at least my customers are getting an organic, artificial color-free meal or two. Or three...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe that's what it is...they feel so good after eating organic that they can't go back to the unnatural sugar.

you should try succanat...or turbinado...mmmmmmmmm. (wow, i didn't even realize that i remembered those words.)

The Pastry Pirate said...

actually, the stuff i have *is* turbinado... and a guy at work explained to me today that they're just coming 'round more because all the flowers, their "real" source of food, are dead or dying. it's true... they're forecasting a foot of snow about 9000 feet on saturday (i live at 8550 ft, so we'll probably only get a few inches.)...

in august!