Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Lake of the Lost

Yesterday, another day off, I took Wiley on a short hike (1.2 miles out-and-back) to a place called Lost Lake. Despite much of the hike through dense, mossy forest, the lake itself wasn't nearly as cool or creepy as the name implies.



Here's Wiley saying, I'm pretty sure, "we climbed all this way just so I could get a drink of water? What's wrong with the bottled water you have in the car?"


The only eventful, er, event came on the walk back down, when a very curious Lesser Chipmunk hung out on a log watching Wiley with great interest:




Sir Smalls got within three feet of him, completely oblivious to the chipmunk. At this point the chipmunk wisely decided to scurry away. Still no reaction from Wiley, who was smelling a blade of grass with interest. Thirty seconds later, he stuck his nose where the chipmunk had been and went nuts, barking and making a great show of "searching" for his prey.


Yeah.


It reminded me of the time he and the late great Kosmo stumbled on a rabbit cowering in the long grass. They both sniffed all around it with great interest as the rabbit crouched motionless but for its quivering nose. After following several "hot leads," both dogs returned to the rabbit, sniffed at it and then peed on it.


I still wonder what that poor bunny told his kin when he got home to the warren that night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago we were grilling out in the yard and a bunny was hanging out. I told the bunny "this is not a good idea" and she hopped out of our fenced yard, both dogs oblivious. I went in the house for something only to find the bunny back in a different spot.

I told her again "bad idea" but she didn't leave. The dogs relaxed in the sun, so I just let her be. Then I noticed her licking herself...and thought "oh good god NO."

My fears confirmed, I watched her give birth to 4 baby bunnies while my dogs sat under the table waiting for us to drop some Quorn "chicken" 10 feet away.

The bunnies have since grown fur and graduated to the tall grass in the corner of the yard. (We haven't mowed the lawn for fear of "the great bunny massacre of '08".)

I came home Saturday to find her standing in the middle of the yard nursing all 4 babies. We gave each other the head nod and I took the dogs in the front yard on leashes.

I think the damn bunny is smarter than I first believed. She sensed that we wouldn't allow our dogs to eat her children for furry snacks.