Friday, August 1, 2008

Go Team Pastry Pirate!

Tomorrow morning I'll be taking Wiley to "the spa" and heading down to Denver to do the Tri for the Cure, my fourth triathlon overall and second this summer. The race itself is Sunday morning, but I have to pick up my timing chip, race tank and precious free water bottles the day before.

I just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to Team Pastry Pirate's Plunder for the Cure. Even though I didn't make my goal of raising $500, the folks who did donate were super-generous and I appreciate their support. I appreciate your support, too, even if it's just to roll your eyes and say to yourself "I really wish she'd train for these things."

Not only will I be doing this tri without training for it... I'm doing it against doctor's orders! How exciting! You see, yesterday, chopping rhubarb, I cut off the tip of my thumb. Not the whole joint or anything, but I sliced right through the nail and deep into, er, the meat, severing the tip completely.

At least I know my knives are sharp.

I was told to go to the clinic today because it wouldn't stop bleeding. I asked the doctor for a waterproof dressing since I'd be doing a triathlon in less than 48 hours and he said I couldn't swim with my avulsion injury. Pish posh. How could I miss the opportunity to leave a blood slick wake behind me?

I may put rum in my free water bottles to self-medicate the pain (it actually doesn't hurt that much, prolly 'cause I severed the nerve endings), but heck, once a pirate commits to plundering for the cure, damn straight she follows through.

'Tis but a flesh wound.

No comments: