Sunday, May 18, 2008

Just Wondering...

Driving over the gorgeous Ute Pass this evening, trying to avoid the deer and the spot in the road where a flash flood had created a five foot deep, twenty feet long sinkhole (a nice guy in a pick-up told me I could detour through a ranch, which he had just done), I happened to tune into a Christian rock station, briefly.

The lyrics of the song went something like "for those who work, heed the call of the father and you will work no more..."

Uhm. Is it me, or is that a really un-Christian concept? Isn't idleness the devil's playground or something? And what if the listener understood the context of "those who work" as "those who have their act together"? Just wondering...

Part of me wanted to hear what other hijinks resulted from heeding the call of the father, but the rest of me just couldn't stand the bad production and nasal, overearnest vocals.

So I put my Kid Rock tape back on.

Yes, I have a cassette player in my car. Them CDs and new-fangled iPod-things are for you youngsters.

1 comment:

Dr. Virago said...

I think it means *in heaven* you get to rest from work. That's my charitable interpretation, anyway. Then again, there's a whole strain of American Christianity that equates wealth (and its accompanying leisure) with a sign of God's blessing.