Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Farewell To Chocolates

As promised, here are a couple shots of chocolates Mandilicious and I did in the last half of class.



Above, on the right, the crescent moons are Port Wine Marzipan (yum) enrobed in dark chocolate with white chocolate piping. I gotta say, our marzipan was phenomenally smooth and oh so almondy, much less sweet than the crap that passes for 99% of what’s sold out there.


On the far left is a naked version of the two finished square chocolates. It’s a layer of peanut butter and milk chocolate gianduja (essentially, a nut-flavored chocolate) and a layer of raspberry jelly. Mandilicious did a terrific job on the raspberry jelly. As for me, I made the gianduja, which came out okay in the end, even if she and I wound up eating too much of it to make an even layer. Oops.



After the gianduja, spread on top of the jelly, set, we flipped over the whole piece, cut it into squares and then enrobed it in dark chocolate, made three diagonal waves on the top and sprinkled the pieces with toasted chopped peanuts, as you see in the two finished pieces in the photo. Personally, I liked just the naked ones, without the chocolate coating and peanuts, but that’s just me.



Below is a shot of two of our last assignments. The finger of Nougat Montelimar was from Thursday. It was a little soft, but tasted great.





The other crazy pieces are molded chocolates. On Friday we had free reign to create a molded chocolate of our own choice of flavor, color and shape. We did a white chocolate Limoncello with colored cocoa butter accents (yellow and green). Both shapes are the same flavor, which I thought turned out very well, and better than the version I did back in Vegas.

No comments: