Wednesday, May 9, 2007

For This I Blame Dr. Virago

As many of you know, my dear friend Dr. Virago, in addition to her many other amazing accomplishments as a human, including the ability to accessorize well, does marathons. After completing her most recent ridiculously long run under exceedingly difficult conditions (Boston, dreadful weather, head cold), she wrote an inspiring post about her journey from couch potato (and believe me, I used to live with her, I know...) to runner of ridiculously long distances.

Well, dammit, she inspired me. Crap. I hate it when that happens.

In 81 days I will be doing the New England Danskin Triathlon. I registered for it tonight. It's somewhere in Massachusetts. I'm not sure where, but I figure I've got 81 days to find out. And to buy a bicycle.

I did the Chicagoland Danskin Triathlon a couple years ago and finished, albeit well after the two friends I did it with. I didn't mind. After all, they had trained for it. My training consisted of swimming a total of about three miles at the YMCA two months before the event (I lost interest), walking my dogs daily (Kosmo was still with me and Wiley back then), and buying a bike for $60 at Target a couple weeks before the event and going around the block once or twice to make sure everything worked before race day.

This time, however, I am determined to do it right. I am actually going to train for it.

What does this have to do with you? Well, nothing, really. I just know that if I post it here, in the cold, hard, eternal record for posterity that is cyberspace, I won't back out or decide to go outlet-shopping that day.

And now for my semi-inspiring message: if I can do a triathlon without training for it, so can you. Give it a shot. If you're a chick, I highly recommend the Danskin Triathlon experience (sorry, no boys allowed), not because it's a very rah-rah-sister atmosphere full of positive energy (it is), not because you will feel like the king of world (or queen... or empress) when you cross the finish line (I did), but because they give you a ton of free stuff from sponsors.

Hey, we all have to find our motivation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your motivation. Even having Dr. Virago for a sister has not been enough to inspire me. Maybe a race to the mall with 75% off coupons as the prize?

BTW, I loved your experiences in Oz, aka Vegas, and all of your food writing.

Thx.

Dr. Virago said...

What the hell -- my sister is commenting on someone else's blog AND using texting abbreviations. Weird.

Anywho, glad I've inspired you! Woo hoo! Maybe I should harness these inspirational powers in some way. Hmm...for good or evil?