Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Stopover in Fast Non-Food Nation

Last night after work, a bunch of us went to an authentic English pub (authentic in the sense that it was run by Brits who had decent beer on tap and football, as in soccer, on all the "tellys"...). As an aside, one thing I like about the culinary industry is its internationality. At our table, we had one American (me), three Koreans, one Indian, two Croatians and one Frenchman, who was married to one of the Koreans. It was fun how all of us listened intently to each other, decoding the various accents, or how the three Koreans started talking in their native language while the Croatians and I spoke in German (the Croatians, two brothers, lived in Germany as refugees in the early 90s and have some pretty hilarious slice of life stories, including the embarrassment of being a teenager all hot for a local girl and inviting her back to his home... in a tent city).

We broke up around three in the morning (not as scandalous as it sounds since all of us work swing shift). On the drive home, I decided tonight was Del Taco night. I live behind a Del Taco and for the past four months, people have been telling me I have to try it, it’s so much better than Taco Bell, I’m so lucky to live near one that’s open 24 hours. I’ve been telling myself I really should try it once.

So I pulled in to the 24-hour drive-thru and ordered what I felt was a selection representative of the Del Taco repertoire: a chicken and cheddar quesadilla, a crispy fish taco and a small order of chili cheddar fries. I took it home (half a block away), already unnerved by the weird chemical grease smell emanating from the bag.

It was beyond horrific. It wasn’t that it was gross and greasy, it was the sheer un-foodness of it all. It had no flavor, not even of salt, and everything was sort of thrown together with complete indifference. The textures were plastic (the tasteless cheese), soggy (the fries), juiceless and grainy (the meat and fish-like product).

I know, I know, you’re rolling your eyes, thinking to yourself "what do you want, it’s fast food prepared by some minimum wage-earning teenager," but the foreign quality of it was nothing short of alarming. I thought it was kind of ironic that I’d been comfortable hanging out with a multi-nationality group for four hours, yet I was disoriented and unsettled by a bag of good ol’ American food.

I ate the fish taco, which seemed the least alien due to the presence of a shred of lettuce and what I think were bean sprouts. But I tossed the rest after venturing a sample bite, then got up in the middle of the night to walk it to the dumpster outside because I couldn’t stand the malingering faux-paprika chemical stink. My gut roiled with heartburn for hours.

I bring all of this up, obvious though it may be to you, because it was a revelation on many different levels for me. I don’t eat fast food. I stopped at a Quizno’s in Kansas on the drive out here when I ran out of road food, but prior to that, my most recent such venture was to get a happy meal at McDonald’s last July because I wanted the little stuffed pirate skeleton doll that came with it as a "Pirates of the Caribbean" promotion. Wiley got the hamburger (except for the pickle, which I ate), I drank the diet Coke I ordered with it and then threw out the fries.

Before that pirate-related McD’s stop, I honestly can’t remember the last time I ate fast food.

I have wondered from time to time what I’m missing, especially when I remember with fondness the Taco Bell 7-Layer Burrito, which I had on maybe a weekly basis in the early 90s. I remember it as a wonderful concoction of soft flour burrito, creamy refried beans, crispy lettuce and firm diced tomatoes, thick sour cream and a tasty blend of cheeses, but now I wonder if that’s how it really tasted.

I realized tonight no, I’m not missing anything in terms of taste or satisfying experience.

Moreover, I thought about the alarming number of Americans who eat at these places regularly, or, worse yet, feed their kids there several times a week. Not to get on my spinster high horse or anything, but I think it is nothing short of criminal negligence to feed your kids fast food, even as a "treat." It’s horrific on so many levels, from supporting the grotesque and unnatural practices of industrial agriculture to training your kid to think of cheese as a piece of tasteless, vaguely chewy plastic, with nary a vegetable in sight (no, three shards of iceberg lettuce doesn’t count). Of course, I don't have whiny kids, so I can say this with unmitigated self-righteousness.

As for the argument "well, it’s all people can afford," that’s utter crap. I paid $7.06 for three items which, had I eaten them, would have been about one meal for maybe 1.5 people. For $7.06 you could feed a family of four or even eight with an easy to prepare, fast "real" meal, be it rice and beans, tuna and spinach over pasta or whatever.

I could understand the argument "but it’s so tasty!" if someone were defending fast food that had some sensory merit, but the food I had was tasteless by any standard. I have had better meals served in-flight on Aeroflot.

I really want to know why these places are so popular, why people who work in "fine dining" kitchens, preparing "fine dining" food, have been telling me to go to Del Taco because it’s so great.

I’m not coming at this as a food snob. Hey, I love Kraft Mac N Cheese – the stuff with the "cheese" sauce that comes as a powder in an envelope, not that high-class squeezy Velveeta stuff. Give me a choice between a Valhrona chocolate souffle and a Reese’s peanut butter cup and, no contest, I will leave the souffle to collapse forlornly, untouched, every time. I think foie gras tastes disgusting and that truffles, black or white, are supremely overrated. I don’t care what score Wine Enthusiast gave some freakin’ fancy-ass Chardonnay – if it’s oaky, I’m not drinking it.

So, my bona fides as a non-food snob established, I really want to know why millions of Americans waste millions of dollars on food that is not fit for consumption, whether your yardstick is taste, nutritional value, or environmental/social impact. Is it because they don’t know better, or do they just not care? Are they so shut off from reality/pressed for time/uncreative/complacent that a gristly, plasticky thing called a quesadilla passes as sustenance?

The older and more ornery I get, the more I feel like an alien dropped onto a distant planet with no plan to phone home.

That, and I also think, remembering how long I had to wait because of the line of cars at the Del Taco drive-through: cull the herd, man. Cull the freakin’ herd.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. I think your culinary adventure in Vegas is now officially finished. Go to Ali Baba to cleanse your palate. (Don't look at me for answers - we don't do food any faster than Kopps!)

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about this so much myself. I can only think that people's palates get used to this stuff, and adjusts itself to its "flavors." If you stop eating it, the magic goes away. People who can regularly enjoy both fast food and fine dining (or even, fresh food) just confound me.

Oddly enough (since I'm also now in the pastry biz), it was the atkins diet that made stop eating fast food eight years ago. It made me look at food labels and actually analyze the food I was eating for the first time. At first, when I wanted to cheat, I would treat myself to fast food... until I realized that it was it was bland and smelled awful compared to my diet food, which was all fresh -- I hated wasting my cheating on it. Ironically, maybe it was my homemade cheesecakes that started me on the path to being a professional sugar pusher... but um, in the healthiest ways possible! :)

The Pastry Pirate said...

Welcome aboard, Nina, and yes, as one of my favorite chefs at school said: "Butter and sugar are not to be feared... They are to be treasured."

Tommy said...

You gave Wiley a hamburger from McDonald's? Why, why, WHY would you do that? That borders on cruel! Thank God he's staying with Virago for the time being and eating real food...

I never cared much, even in my fast food loving days of youth, for Taco Bell. Even at the age of 15 I could tell it was garbage (with all due apologies to garbage...). And I've never had Del Taco. And now I never will. But here on the left coast (apparently not as far east as Vegas... yet) there exists a Seattle based chain called Taco Del Mar. Which is just what it sounds like: Taco of the Mar. Baja style, that is. And I have to say that it really is nothing short of excellent! Nina might be able to back me up on this. Great fish tacos, burritos, "bowls," which are a mishmash of the menu... My personal favorite is the shrimp burrito (the shrimp is cooked to order). At any rate, TDM is one of only two fast food restaurants I patronize anymore.

The other is Burgerville. We are SO lucky here in the northwest to have Burgerville! Imagine a fast food chain that actually sources local ingredients. Range fed beef from Oregon Country beef, a local rancher co-op. Cage free eggs from Stiebrs farms in Yelm, WA. Locally harvested hazelnuts for the seasonal hazelnut shakes. And likewise, locally harvested marionberries for the seasonal marionberry shakes. That's Burgerville. If all of that isn't amazing enough, they have sweet potato fries! But only in the fall. Please do pardon my french here, but I have to reiterate: FUCKING SWEET POTATO FRIES IN THE FUCKING FALL!!!

Burgerville has been featured by Jane and Michael Stern on The Splendid Table, and deservedly so. You will never eat fast food this good. It is amazing. And don't think that this is a stand alone restaurant, it's a bona-fide chain. There are nearly thirty of them. But they don't seem to be interested in expanding. They've found their niche. Their tagline used to be "Inconveniently located for most of America," and God/Allah/Shiva/Buddha willing, it will remain that way!

You see, the problem is not fast food itself. Bad food isn't even the problem. The problem is a shareholder return driven economic system that values expansion over quality and reduces food to a commodity. Chew on that for a bit: Food. The one thing, the only thing (other than sunlight, oxygen and water, of course) that allows the cells in our bodies to continue to divide, a commodity! How did we ever go so wrong?

Don't get me started...

Tommy said...

One more thing: I have to respond to something that Nina said, or implied, or maybe that I just inferred...

By the way, Nina, meet Pirate. Pirate, meet Nina. You two are the best pastry bloggers I've found, and I'm glad you've finally met up.

The notion that people who eat fast food have "dull" palates is simply... well, as much as we'd all love to believe it, it's just wrong. I'm sure you've both read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Now go read it again. One of the most interesting points he makes is that (Atkins diet notwithstanding), there's a reason a whopper tastes so good (and it does, come on, admit it now), which is that it's chemically engineered to taste good. The scientists at the BK HQ flavor labs (and McD, Taco Bell, et al) deserve some credit here, as they really are smarter than most of the rest of us. They've figured out how to manipulate our taste buds. To say that fast food is addictive is not just a metaphor. The flavor of a whopper is literally rooted in cold, hard, empirical chemistry. That's what makes it so damn evil.

Of course, it's also true that once you stop eating Whoppers and start eating real food, your palate does indeed adjust (or should I say it recovers). We deserve some credit, even if it's just from one another, for making that jump, and we should encourage our friends, family and fellow citizens to do just the same. This is not a battle of taste. It's a battle of politics.

We think of the way we eat as being new, or at least novel. It's neither. Organic farming, slow food, humanely raised meat... these were the norm for thousands of years. Nobody in Mesopotamia would have thought for a second to apply these kinds of labels to their food. They didn't have to. The thing to remember in all of this is that we're simply returning to the normal way of eating. WE are the normal ones, believe it or not! Interestingly enough, this is being helped along by increasing oil shortages (peak oil and all of that), but, well, that's another post for another blog.

I'm beginning to preach to the choir here, so I suppose I'd better shut up. But thanks for listening, anyway. And of course, buon appetito!

The Pastry Pirate said...

Hey Tommy... I actually haven't read "Fast Food Nation" (reading "The Omnivore's Dilemma" and watching "The Future of Food" made me depressed enough), though I did see the movie.

While I agree with you that a lot of fast food out there is scientifically engineered to smell if not taste addictively delectable, what boggled my mind about the whole Del Taco experience was how many cooks and even sous chefs (though admittedly, not chefs) were raving about it. These are people who cook, season and assemble food for a living. And Del Taco is one of the more popular fast food chains.

They also raved up and down about In-N-Out Burger, but I just can't bring myself to give it a shot. No, tonight I'm eating out... at the Himalayan place that has to-die-for curried turkey dumplings. I don't know if turkeys are indigenous to Himalaya (something tells me no) or if these were humanely raised and slaughtered, but I don't care. They're tasty.