Monday, June 2, 2008

Rocky Mountain High

Wiley and I took the long way to the Boulder Target today... usually it's a two-hour drive (each way), but this time we made a bigger loop by driving through Rocky Mountain National Park... its famous Timber Line Road, the highest continuously paved road in North America, was finally open. It cuts across the Divide topping out at more than 12,000 feet, and although it opened officially for the season on Memorial Day weekend, it was closed soon after.

"We've got blowing snow, hurricane-force winds and visibility of less than 20 feet," said the friendly ranger when I called last Monday to see if the road was open.


Today, however, the only obstacles between us and Timber Line were the carloads of other tourists who freaked out at the sight of a moose 100 yards off the road and slammed on their brakes to take pictures and gawk. Sigh.


I did get to see my first elk up close. He was lounging by the side of the road, in shade under a tree, apparently camouflaged from most of the tourist traffic, since I was the only one who slowed down as I passed (slowed, not stopped to take pictures and gawk... I was more concerned that he would get up and dart in front of my car).


Wiley had his own wildlife experience... While we were stopped at a scenic overlook, three very sassy Lesser Chipmunks (actual name) came up to get a closer look at him. One was particularly cheeky and had a bit of a staring contest with Smalls.




Here's a shot of my long-suffering Focus, Kali, parked near the highest point of Timber Line Road with the Never Summer Mountains (my favorite mountain range name ever) in the background. You may also notice the tall pole behind my car... They're stuck all over the side of the road and parking lots to guide the plows clearing the road for the summer season because yes, the snow does get that high. Up to 35 feet, I've heard.



Right about at the highest point of Timber Line Road... Look at that tundra! Pretty dang cool. Literally. It was very windy and about 40 degrees cooler than it would be in Boulder a couple hours later.



More tundra (foreground), more mountains (background, the Gore Range, I believe)... there's something exhilarating about looking across to mountain tops instead of up at them, you know?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ms. Pirate,

While this has nothing to do with pastry, I thought I would pass on the following url which demonstrates the effect of Global Warming on pirates. There's even a graph(arrow to middle of page).

http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/

A Shorwoodian Sister (who apparently is able to write in Cyrillic now).