Monday, July 16, 2007

Sconetastic!

Another dispatch from Down South...

Yesterday L and I threw a traditional afternoon tea for some of her neighbors and other military spouses. L and her mom, who is in town for the week, made the tea and sandwiches while I, as you might imagine, was in charge of the baked goods and sweets.

I took this as an opportunity to tackle my temperphobia and do three different molded chocolates (alas, I have only one chocolate mold, which I had to reuse, stretching out the process).


Here’s a closeup of the chocolates (on the three-tiered plate stand). From top, milk chocolate with hazelnut, white chocolate with lavender (yes, I tried making it again... this time it came out better) and dark chocolate with chai. I hated them all, but L and her mom loved the chai ones and I got several favorable comments about the others, so I guess I was in the minority (me not liking chocolate could have something to do with that...).

In the foreground of the photo are some chocolate and Kahlua financiers, which proved to be pretty popular. On the right are some Paris-Brest (pate a choux with whipped cream, sliced almonds and hazelnut cream) and on the left are some of the currant scones I did, my personal favorite thing I made.

Here’s another shot of the spread.



And finally, a closeup of the inevitable fruit tart. I like makin’ ‘em, and people like eatin’ ‘em, so I have no intention of stopping. I’m particularly fond of the strawberry flower tarts (toward the background), a design I hadn’t tried before.




4 comments:

Dr. Virago said...

You tart, you! :)

Anonymous said...

It all looks amazing. Good job.

Tommy said...

Dude, that shit is making me so hungry...

That is one hell of a spread, my friend. You're clearly in your element. You and Wiley can come hang with me and Burke in our kitchen anytime you like!

The Pastry Pirate said...

Thanks all... I have to admit that it was all I could do not to belly flop on the table and devour it all in front of our invited guests...