Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Rocky Mountain Randoms, Part Two

I will admit that I miss being able to listen to NPR. Even though it annoys me half the time with its mix of predictable, earnest music choices and smug and/or earnest "on-air talent," when I got a station in range I at least knew what was happening in Kenya and which fish were being sustainably caught.

My need to listen to All Things Considered and Marketplace is that much more acute given that CNN has devolved into a tedious loop of shrill harpies, hyperbole and utterly useless crap like their News to Me segments. If I wanted to watch shaky hand-cam footage of a burning building in Pittsburgh, I’d troll YouTube, thanks very much. Apparently they changed to being the Constant Nonsense Network during the period when I didn’t have cable.

There’s only one radio station I can get on my commute, at least that I’ve found so far, and reception goes in and out several times as I drive through the foothills to or from work. I determined early on that it was a Christian station with a mix of "family values" talk shows and Jesus Bop, that overproduced, generic pop-rock that just sounds like mediocre Six Flags side stage bands until you start listening to the lyrics ("You raiiiiiiise me up!" "I am nothing without yoooooou, my Lord!").

Anyway, I don’t listen to it much, if at all. I only catch moments when I’m changing mix tapes, switching, say, from Rob Zombie to Rammstein. But last night, coming home from work, I discovered that it’s not a Denver or Boulder station as I had thought. It’s based in Wyoming. I don’t know why, but that really amuses me.

I’m still not listening to it, though.

1 comment:

Dr. Virago said...

Dude, that's some clear air you've got up there if you can hear Wyoming stations!