Friday, December 14, 2007

GingerSlap!

I mentioned in my last post how I get to come up with granita flavors. My first, a Mint but Rum-less Mojito, was a failure. I thought it tasted good, but the teaching assistant in the morning (I work the second shift) declared that it tasted like toothpaste and threw it all out before we opened the day it was supposed to be served.

My second attempt was a Chocolate Toffee that everyone loved and all the teaching assistants, student workers and hangers-on kept drinking as free "samples," which meant I had to make more and more. Ugh.

Wednesday, I got my revenge. And it was delicious in every sense. I made a gingersnap-flavored granita that was Extremely Gingertudinous. I started calling it Gingerslap, though my classmate Sunshine observed GingerSpank might have been more on target. A lot of people were spitting it out. Except the gingerphiles. A handful of us who adore ginger were sucking it down all day. One of my chefs tried it too and said he really liked it. He finished the whole cup, so I'm thinking he was being honest.

I have to say it was so yummy, but it was even more wonderful to hear all the Chocolate Toffee trolls whine and complain about how disgusting it was.

Thursday was supposed to be GingerSlap Day Two, but the morning TA, who is your typical arrogant Cookin' School grad (I am humble compared to most of the people around here), said he couldn't find the batch I made (despite it being labeled, clearly, and on the front of the shelf in the cooler), so he made a flavor he liked.

Whatever. That left me a lot of Gingerslap to sip on my own the whole dang day today (I never got to class yesterday because they declared a snow day before noon... whoo hoo!).

In any case, I win.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Graduation - and I adore ginger. So with that gingersnap granita I will have my gluten free gingersnap crust pumpkin cheesecake.